We recommend using Handin to create group assignments in Aula since it has inbuilt functionality for this purpose. However, it doesn't provide plagiarism checks, in which case, Turnitin may be a more suitable option.
Turnitin doesn't allow for group assignments natively, but this can be achieved by following one of the following two workarounds:
- A simple workaround is setting up a Turnitin assignment with plagiarism checks turned off. Each student would submit their group assignment individually, although identical for everyone in the group. This way, exporting grades to a Student Record System would be very easy.
- If you need plagiarism checks, there is a second workaround, although it is a bit more complex. There are five steps in this process:
- Ask only one student per group to upload a submission to a Turnitin assignment.
- Download an editable list of your students.
- Edit the list to add the grades.
- Import the resulting file into a Manual Assignment in Aula.
- If needed, export the grades to the Student Record System.
Download an editable list of your students
- In your module, click on the People tab (to the right of Journey) and select the Groups tab.
- Click on the Download icon next to a group set of your choice.
- In the popup window, type in a suitable name, e.g. Students 7002BMS Group Assignments.
- Click the Save button to download the CSV file to your local drive.
Edit the list to add the grades
- Open the downloaded CSV file, using a spreadsheet editor. The file initially appears like this:
- At the end of the spreadsheet add a column for grades, e.g. Grade 1, and add the student grades for each group.
- When you're ready, save the file and proceed with importing these grades into Aula.
Import the resulting file into a Manual Assignment in Aula
It's not possible to import grades to Turnitin, and so you will need to create a Manual Assignment in the Student Success App. While students will be able to see it, they will not be able to access it in any way apart viewing their own grades. Only educators can manage it.
Create a Manual Assignment
- Head to Journey > Assignments > Student Success App.
- Click on the green + plus button in the top right corner of the Assignments box.
- Enter a title, which will be visible to students. Choose a grade type.
- Press Create assignment to confirm.
Upload grades from your CSV file
- Click into the manual assignment that you've just created.
- Click on the green Upload Grades button.
- Select a CSV file from your computer, or drag and drop it onto the upload window. Confirm with Next.
- Make sure that the email and grade fields are mapped to the correct columns from your spreadsheet. Confirm with Apply grades.
- If required, click on Release grades in the top right corner to release grades to Students.