This article will guide you on how to creating a group assignment in Handin.
How to Create a Group Assignment
- Click on the People tab (to the right of Journey).
- Select the Groups tab to create your group sets. For step-by-step instructions, please see the Assignments: Create Groups article.
- Once your group set is ready, go to Journey > Assignments.
- Create a new assignment with Handin by following the steps outlined in Create and Edit Handin Assignments.
- Follow the assignment creation flow. On step 3, tick the This is a group assignment option.
- Choose the group set you have created from the dropdown menu below.
- Click on Create.
- In a group assignment on Handin, only one student will submit an assignment on behalf of the entire group. Once they have submitted the assignment successfully, they will see the following message:
- During the grading and feedback process, educators will have the option to grade and provide feedback to the entire group collectively or to each student individually.
- If the set of groups is hidden from students (this is set by default), the Handin assignment won't be visible for students. You will need to unhide the set of groups for students to access their assignment.
How to Make Changes to Group Sets
Educators sometimes need to make changes to existing groups. When an active group assignment receives a submission, the group set is locked and doesn't allow for changes to the group set.
To make changes to a group set that has already received a submission, you can delete the submission to unlock the group set, make the necessary changes to groups and ask the students to resubmit:
- Journey > Assignments and select the assignment in question.
- Under the submissions list, locate the assignment you'd like to delete.
- Expand the submissions menu by clicking on the three dots and select Delete submission.
- You will be asked for confirmation on a pop-up. Click on Delete submission again to remove it.