Creating a group assignment in Handin is quick and easy. To have full context on how to create group assignments in Handin, we recommend taking a look at the following articles for details on creating groups, and creating assignments in Handin:
Creating a group assignment in HI
- In your module, click on the People tab (to the right of Journey).
- Select the Groups tab to create your group sets. For step-by-step instructions, please see the Create Groups article.
- Once your group set is ready, go to Journey > Assignments.
- Create a new assignment with Handin by following the steps outlined in Create and Edit Handin Assignments.
- Follow the assignment creation flow. On step 3, tick the This is a group assignment option.
- Choose the group set you have created from the dropdown menu below.
- Click on Create.
In a group assignment on Handin, only one student will submit an assignment on behalf of the entire group. Once they have submitted the assignment successfully, they will see the following message:
During the grading and feedback process, educators will have the option to grade and provide feedback to the entire group collectively or to each student individually.
Deleting a HI submission to make changes to group sets
With the dynamic nature of digital learning communities, educators sometimes need to make changes to existing groups. When an active group assignment receives a submission, the group set is locked and doesn't allow for changes to the group set.
To make changes to a group set that has already received a submission, you can delete the submission to unlock the group set, make the necessary changes to groups and ask the students to resubmit. Here's how you can delete a submission:
- In your module, head over to Journey > Assignments and select the assignment in question.
- Under the submissions list, locate the assignment you'd like to delete.
- Expand the submissions menu by clicking on the three dots and select Delete submission.
- You will be asked for confirmation on a pop-up. Click on Delete submission again to remove it.