A great welcome video will introduce students to your module but also to you.
- What is the purpose of a welcome video?
- What should the tone of the video be?
- How do I create the video?
What Is The Purpose Of A Welcome Video?
- Summarise the module journey:
- Big ideas to be explored each week/cycle
- Big questions we’re going to tackle each week/cycle
- The overall story and vision of the module: what and why
- Set clear expectations:
- How I’ll work with you on Aula (sync & async) - a walkthrough of a typical week
- How I expect to work with you on Aula (sync & async, typical week)
- Share something about you as a person with your students, e.g. your Name & Object Story:
- Your preferred name/how you like to be addressed and pronoun
- An object which means something to you & why it’s important
- To prompt students to complete their name and object story - a call to action to complete the introductory activity and then get prepped for week 1
What Should The Tone Of The Video Be?
- Informal and friendly
- Professional but also purposefully personal, to model and start to build a connection and sense of community
How Do I Create The Video?
- Choose your tool (Camera App, Loom, etc.)
- Plan your structure and practice!
- Make it effective, applied and active