Groups in Aula are a great way to split students either automatically or manually into project groups. To facilitate group collaboration, when creating groups you can automatically place your students into corresponding group conversations which will appear in their Messaging panel.
- In your module, click on the People icon.
- Select the Groups tab.
- Click on the New Set of Groups button in the top right.
- Enter the name and choose the visibility of the set. Confirm with Create set.
1. Create groups manually
The first option will allow you to create groups manually, and select specific students for each group. This might be the best solution for small cohorts.
- In the newly created group set, click on Add new group to set.
- Search and select relevant participants. You can search by name, email, and student ID.
- Once done, click Save.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 to create as many groups as you like.
2. Auto-generate groups
The second option will automatically split your students into equally numbered groups of your choosing. It might be especially helpful if you'd like to divide your students into randomised groups.
- In the newly created group set, click on Auto-generate groups.
- Enter the Number of groups you'd like to create and the number of Students per group.
- Confirm with Create groups.
3. Create groups with a CSV file
The last button will allow you to import a CSV file created outside of the Aula platform. This might be helpful if you have many students in your module and you'd like to split them into groups using a specific formula.
- In the newly created group set, click on Create groups with a CSV file. The CSV file will need to include 2 columns with the following as the titles of each column:
- Group name
- Email address
- You can drag and drop or select a file from your computer and click on Next.
- Choose columns to be used for group name and email address and click on Create groups.
Conversations in Groups
While creating Groups for assignments, you can automatically create conversations to facilitate group collaboration.:
- Toggle the Create group conversation option.
- If you'd like to be present in these conversations alongside students, make sure you click on Add yourself and toggle on Add educators in this group to conversations.
*Please note, you will be unable to view a conversation if you are not added in a group, despite having "Add educators" toggle enabled.
Once groups are created, you can click on the pencil icon in the top right to change the makeup of the group or to delete it.
It's not currently possible to adjust the order of groups. If this is a feature you'd love to see, please share this feedback in our Product Portal.
Export Group Sets
If needed, you can export your groups into a CSV file directly from your Aula space. This will display participants organised by groups. To do this:
- Click on the People icon.
- Select the Groups tab.
- Click on the Download CSV icon in the top right of the set of your choice.